Friday, April 4, 2008

Debating method

link to the photo

In comparision with our traditional teaching method, debating one has some overwhelming features.

Generally speaking, our teaching methods are in favour of theorities. While lecturers say, most of students just try to take notes as much as possible. Therefore, there is no much time for discussion. This gradually turns them into ''machines". It means that they are told what should be done or shouldn't, which prevents them from being active.

link to the photo
In contrast, with debating method, students have a chance of discussing with their lectures and other students. It requires each student to think to find out the answers to problems by themselves. Through this, they learn to form their own ideas and opinions. They also get an oppotunity to express their ideas in front of the class. Gradually they know how to make their own decisions and develop independent thinking. It cannot be denied that by discussing matters together students can bear knowledge in mind.


link to the photo
How to encourage students to be involved in debating?



Firstly, teachers need to devide the class into small groups(about 4 people in a group) so that everyone can speak in discussion class. Secondly, lecturers should raise controversial and interesting issues, which encourages them to think about the topic.In addition, it also helps students catch up with current change in modern life.Thirdly, the impotant thing is that students should distinguish the difference between debating and quarrelling. Because the primary goal of debating is to help students have right view- point in many fields.So we should make a comfortable atmosphere in order to motivate students to give their opinions for topic. And teachers need to balance the debating atmosphere between groups.


link to the photo


In summary, with its strong points debating method should be encouraged to apply not only to speaking but also to other subjects.

-TRUONG THAO-

3 comments:

Captain Nemo said...

I couldn't agree with you more ! This entry really helps me a lot in preparing for a debate. Keep going ! Cheers :D [NhÆ° Anh]

Happy Family said...

You have given us a very useful and interesting journal.Teaching method in our country needs to be modernized.However,when we study in this uni,I think we have adopted a very acive way of learning,we can express our point of view,giving comments to the method.I hope in the future our educational system will be developed.
P/S:I would be happy if you could join the debate raised by our group.Thanks

3snakesand1cat said...

The word "debate" hardly ever appeared in my world until I joined our speaking class this semester. Therefore, I even didn't know what a debate was, not to talk about how to debate. And I guess you never expect to hear that, news is nothing to me. I totally don't pay attention to it. It's like what happens around is none of my business. It seems like I just care about things concerning about me, you know, like study, assignments, exams, so on. But now, thanks to your mention, I think I should try to change some point of mine. Thanks.